Programme for the Weekend

Well the months have turned into weeks, and the weeks are turning into days. Not long before we meet up and I thought it about time to let you know what might be going on apart from the lunchtime buffet and the evening meal.

After extensive research and fieldwork, and at great expense no doubt sampling the wares, Dennis has suggested that those of us who are arriving on Friday meet up at The Glengower on the Promenade. If the sun's out we can sit outside even and there's a good selection of beer and food available too. Here's a gallery of images from their website. Looks good. I suggest we say 7:30 to meet, but of course if you're going to eat there, we might see you before that, because we'll be eating there.

So that's Friday evening catered for, we might even stroll down and kick the bar I suppose afterwards before retiring for the night.

Nothing planned for Saturday morning so that's free time for strolling and coffee drinking. It looks like The Penguin is still going - must be some kind of record for a cafe, but no National Milk Bar ... those were the days. Do you remember it was about the only place open on a Sunday!

We have the buffet lunch at the Richmond Hotel on Saturday at 12:00 for 12:30. I believe Richard has said in an email I can't find now that there is a bar open for drinks before lunch. In fact I'd be amazed if there wasn't, so that's quite probably the most stupid thing I've ever written. The cost of this will be £15 for the 23 of us, but as we have 6 guests (Harold Carter, Tony Moyes, Roy and Andrea Lewis, and John and Pat Aitchison) please budget for £19 to cover their lunches. This will be a finger buffet with savoury and sweet courses and with suitable provision for vegetarians, followed by tea and coffee. We should probably aim to wind-up by about 2:00pm.

After lunch we're open to suggestions, but one possibility is that Richard, as Captain of the Bowls Club, has indicated that those who wished could have a game of bowls. John and Dennis probably, Tony (I believe), Gareth (I think) and I used to accompany Richard to the public green which was off North Road. Richard's club is at Plascrug between the Crown Buildings and the University playing fields on Llanbadarn Road. A start of 3:00pm is proposed.

Alternative suggestions for the afternoon are welcomed. A stroll up Penglais Hill maybe, or a ride up Constitution Hill on the cliff railway? We can discuss these on the Friday night or even Saturday morning. Nothing too strenuous though ... please!

Our evening meal for 21 of us is at Med Delight on North Parade. We meet at 7:00 for 7:30. I hope you'll take the opportunity to look at the menu - it looks fantastic.

Richard will be confirming the numbers tomorrow (22nd August), so if we have some drop-outs (shame on you) please let me, and Richard, know as soon as possible. 

On Sunday morning John and Midge, Jenny and I are going to walk around (maybe even up) Pendinas Hill beside the Ystwyth, up to Southgate (Penparcau) and then back to town via either the cycle track alongside the Rheidol, or Llanbadarn Road, or Waunfawr - depending upon how fit we're feeling. This walk also allows anyone who has to get away quickly to dip out at a couple of intermediary points as well. So please try and join us. I've put a map of Aber so that you can see the proposed walk here.

So depending upon what you'd like to do, perhaps pack some comfortable walking clothes and shoes, and if you think you'd like to have a game of bowls please bring some trainers - heels strictly forbidden.

That's about it. Look forward to seeing you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add a comment.